(by Mario Fabbri, TV Host, Trying Vegan with Mario)
One of my favorite things to do with mushroom powder is to add it to a vegetable stock. Dehydrate a bunch of mushrooms, grind them up into a powder, and keep it in your cabinet for the next time you cook or are making a stock. When you turn mushrooms into a powder, it condenses the flavor and preserves it for months. You can do this with almost any type mushroom. Try it out with your favorite ones.
Tip: Bring out the intense flavor of mushroom powder by adding it in while caramelizing onions or garlic.
Time & Temperature: Dehydrate at 117 °F / 47 °C for 8-12 hours.
Equipment: SAHARA Folding Dehydrator.
- This works with almost any type of mushroom. I recommend king oyster mushrooms.
- Slice mushrooms very thin.
- Dehydrate on 117 °F / 47 °C for 8-12 hours. When the slices are crispy enough to snap, they are ready.
- Grind in a spice grinder or coffee bean grinder until powdered.
- Store in an airtight jar in a dry place.